Thursday, April 21, 2011

Love Letters and Vulnerability


For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)

I found that his Word pierces me more than anything in my life; and the piercing isn't with fear of retribution or wrath or a sense of alert to a God who is capable of destroying me. It was a piercing that made me feel vulnerable. A feeling that I am completely bare to him. It's a totally wonderful feeling. It feels vulnerable. Like the Holy Spirit is permeating every part of me and it's just pure joy, a sense of pleasure beyond anything else. It's reading what he says to us as a romance. And then feeling the overbearing joy he has in us through his Spirit.

We so often are whelmed by the overbearing omnipotence of God. And true, fear of Yahweh is the beginning of wisdom. But perhaps that fear is also the first fear we have knowing how vulnerable in love we are to him? How being near to God who is so madly in love with us, who wants to marry us,

“In that day,” declares the LORD,
“you will call me ‘my husband’;
you will no longer call me ‘my master. Hosea 2:16

that it makes us nervous, vulnerable. Almost like we found out that Someone we know has a crush on us. It's a love that gives butterflies. God did say if you delight in him he will give you your heart's desires (Psalm 37:4). But to get your heart's desires, you have to delight in him. So through the relationship with him, you get your heart's desires. And what do we all desire? Love. A lover who will be there for us in every moment, every day, forever. And that's what God desires to be with us. It's why when he returns for us, we will never again think of him as our Master and us his servants. He will then be one thing to us: our Spouse, says Hosea 2:16. Read this passage from Song of Songs 7:10-13 and imagine God saying this about you:

I belong to my beloved,
and his desire is for me.
Come, my beloved, let us go to the countryside,
let us spend the night in the villages.
Let us go early to the vineyards
to see if the vines have budded,
if their blossoms have opened,
and if the pomegranates are in bloom—
there I will give you my love.
The mandrakes send out their fragrance,
and at our door is every delicacy,
both new and old,
that I have stored up for you, my beloved.

We have caught the eye of the Son of God, and he will have us for himself. He burns for us, he desires us, he wants us. Why not give yourself to him? Not only will you have a Lover who adores and burns for you always, but you will have forever joy and pleasure at his Spirit's touch and embrace, who lives inside us who love him. And you will begin a relationship with him that when we are finally wed to him and we are in the consummation of the marriage, God can look back over our lives with him and he can present to us in his loving heart that which he has stored up all these delicacies of love and daydreams and moments with us, both new and old, through our lives with his lovely Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment