Sunday, December 12, 2010

Daddy + Daughter

http://johnnytubesteak.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Daddy-Daughter-Dance.jpg

The other day I had this perfect moment with my daughter. I was holding her in my arms, she was asleep, and I was rocking her back and forth and slowly dancing with her as we listened to Coldplay's Christmas Lights.

http://www.songonlyrics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Coldplay-Christmas-Lights.jpg

We have Christmas lights up in our living room (it's very Dan-In-Real-Life-ish; PS if you haven't seen that movie, rent it. Now! It's me and my wife's fav movie ever). The sun was setting outside. And I just started crying. All my life I have always wanted a daughter. And of course I have one :) But I just started thanking Jesus for her. I knew it was the Holy Spirit talking through me to Jesus (when the Spirit gives us words to pray for when we cannon verbalize the things of the heart). It was absolutely wonderful :) One of the best moments, easily.

This girl has absolutely stolen my heart. I'm crazy about her. I don't think I realized before we had her that I would be this in love with her (if you're a parent, you might know what I'm saying here). In a very real way, I fall more in love with her every day.

I have my work cut out for me though. My wife is an awesome mommy. She absolutely 'beasts' mommyhood. She's selfless, loving, patient, and soooo much fun. I have to bring the full out Jim Carry zanyness every day just to catch up to her and in a desperate hope to keep my daughter's attention over her! lol.

So much I hear though about fathers not involved in their daughters' lives. My goodness! Why not?? Aside from all the extreme benefits spiritually, psychologically, and emotionally, they are missing out on having an awesome little girl think they are superman and can do anything in the world. And that's a feeling you can't get elsewhere except from her.

As a door turns on its hinges, so a sluggard turns on his bed. Proverbs 26:10 (NIV)
Or better than 'bed' how about couch?

Here's my challenge to these Godly dads, wake up! These gifts from God we call children, our daughters, are oh so important, special, amazing. The things a girl derives from her father and her relationship with him will be one of the main dictating factors as to how she decides to allow herself to be treated by men when she grows up, whether or not she will believe those disgusting, derogatory messages about her body, appearance, and dress from media and peers (ie the world), how much she will pursue her Heavenly Father, and how much self-worth she'll derive and where it comes from (from God & knowing she's saved & redeemed & is an image bearer of our Lovely God or from a sleazy boyfriend who uses her for her body, 'friends' who are the personification of the world, and grocery store checkout magazines with the latest Hollywood glam)

Whatever it is hindering you from all out loving your daughter, deal with it at the cross. Fast.

Then, start again :) God is all about fresh starts.

Give her attention. Spent time with her.

Have fun! You can read a book together.

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2010/06/father-daughter-reading-outside.jpg

If you run out of ideas fast...

Don't be afraid to take some pointers from your best friend, your wife :)

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/mom-tickling-child.jpg


And of course, play! Play!! Play!!!

http://realdeepsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/father-daughter-surfsmall.jpg

Make her smile. Make her laugh. Do everything you can to make her never forget these times & remember them one day as 'the good ole days.' You, as a father, have this power. Believe in yourself because you are saved in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment