Saturday, August 28, 2010

Freeing Our Hearts in Our Beloved

http://www.treehugger.com/death-cab-for-cutie-video.jpg

I love Grapevine Fires by Death Cab for Cutie. I was listening to it one morning when I was working on my math homework. And I felt God, my sweet Lover, just holding me tight. Loving me. Sharing kisses with me and just being close. Me and God just have such a wonderful love story. And it's years and years later since I met him and fell for him. And I've just had to worship him ever since.

There's a lot to say about being free in our hearts to love our God. My biggest one is that I am actually a traveler in a foreign land and not living here in this town. Even though this is where I met my wife, where we got married, where we got our first house, had our first child. It's all passing away anyways. And now there is a good opportunity for us in Alabama and it's possible we might move there next year. And I'm scared because I don't want to lose what this place means to us. It's hard to learn some lessons in our hearts because what God really wants from us, is completely needing him. Not to be fulfilled partly in where we live. Our "comfort zone." But he wants us to make our home his heart. And his Father's house. He wants us to crave to have him to keep near to us on cold nights and lonely days. And especially to crave him when everything is going perfect. Life is just perfect for us right now and God really, really wants me to want him irregardless of life's ups and occasional downs.

Of course he does! He wants to be our Lover, our Spouse one day. He wants to be desired just like anyone else in a relationship. I love how John Eldredge once wrote that how women bear the image of God in their desire to be pursued. It's the same with God. Is it any wonder that God wants to be worshiped and desired and pursued? Of course not!

As far as he is concerned with everything else in our hearts that is not centered on us with him, I think the best lines can come from Death Cab or Coldplay:

We watched the plumes paint the sky gray....there I knew I'd be alright - Death Cab. Grapevine Fires.

Oh I'm going to buy this place and start a fire. Stand here until I fill all your heart's desires. Coldplay. A Rush of Blood to the Head.

And that's just what Jesus says he will do to get our hearts in Hosea 2, to get us to be his beloved:

Therefore I will block her paths with thornbushes; I will wall her in so she cannot find her way....Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her....In that day declares the LORD, "You will call me 'my Husband;' you will no longer call me 'my Master.'" Hosea 2:6,14,16. NIV


Our God is alluring us to be his beloved. To give us our heart's desires if we just delight in him. In his beauty and his strength. He is our perfect Lover. Go for it with him today!! And find the love you've always wanted with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment