Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Servant in Love

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/Flower_heart.jpg

My wife tonight made me a video slide show of pictures from our entire romance set to Colbie Caillat's Fallin for You and it was the most beautiful thing I've ever watched in my life. I mean I wept it was so sweet. I just watched it again and it's 3:30 am and I should be doing my math homework but that doesn't matter and it just made me cry again! The titles she wrote, the pictures on it, everything, it was perfect. And I was sitting there just watching how my wife came alone and Boom! My entire life changed years ago when I met her. I am not kidding, ever since the day I met her, I have had nothing else I've wanted to do each and single day since but be with her. Ever since she walked into that cafe, Plaid Cafe, that one down on campus corner that one Saturday afternoon, where we first met and had our first date, every day, every hour since that time at about 3:30 that Saturday, I have wanted nothing else but to just be with her. And you know, I knew this ever before that time I met her, but our entire romance mirrors our relationship with Jesus. Ever since that day in August almost 8 years ago when I read John Eldredge's Journey of Desire and discovered that Jesus wanted to be my Beloved and marry me one day, I have been enthralled with him. And wanted to be with him. He changed my life.

Life with God is one of the most incredible things ever. It's one of the hardest things to do in the world. Truly. As God's beloved we don't have an easy path sometimes. Peter got crucified upside down. John was sent off to a remote island and lived alone with God. And Jesus. The Father said there was no other way besides the cross and the cup could not be taken from him. We are lovers of our Father in a dark world and in many instances what is required of us is a lot. And it usually is simply by his grace that we are able to complete the task. I spent 6 1/2 years alone before I met my wife. I remember wondering if God would ever bring her to me. I remember being so lonely and feeling like no one cared about me or knew my name and if I died tomorrow how no one would care except my parents. And I felt like a traveler in the desert. It was by his grace, by his love, by his immense beauty, by the promise of his good heart that I had only to trust in and knowing that one day I would finally hold our Beloved in my arms for good. And now I'm home with my wife and waiting for us all to go home to Jesus. One of my favorites on faith in Jesus is Hebrews 11. I love it because it encapsulates all of our heroes from God's word and how they only did it because they had faith in God. It begins with this verse:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 11:1 (NIV)

I am sure of Jesus' love and that one day we will marry him and be with him forever. Worshiping him in oneness and intimacy forever. This romance is worth everything. I promise you that. The romance with Jesus, with each other, winning the world for our Beloved and our Father through the Holy Spirit, it's everything. It's perfect. It's wonderful. It gives us hope, faith, and it lets us give every bit of love we have until there's nothing left and then we discover that we still have love left in us even then. It makes us want to be simple servants. I just want to serve my wife. I'm going to do those dishes for her and then clean her car, all before she wakes up! I just want to serve Jesus and love him forever. He is so beautiful. So wonderful. And I can't wait to be with my wife and Jesus and us watch this slide show and then another one of all three of us together. God is perfect because he is love. Why wouldn't we sacrifice everything we have for him when his heart is this beautiful?

Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry and he who believes in me will never be thirsty....Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and I will raise him up at the last day." John6:34,54 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment